Sunday, January 20, 2013

From dreams to action

I was so inspired by my summer dreaming that I took the next step and started planning the garden! Days of reading up on organic gardening, crop rotation, companion planting, soil pH, plant varieties, seedlings etc etc via google and pinterest... I spent an entire evening on seed websites searching for the perfect varieties for our garden and could have spent SO MUCH money. Thankfully, I kept in mind the limited space we have and only bought probably a little too much. ;) 

But when you look out the window and see this, can you blame me for immersing myself in summer plans? Lol!


Actually, in defense of the weather, it has been cold but sunny (except for this weekend) and absolutely gorgeous with the crisp white snow.
But back to the garden!


I spent another evening reading old gardening magazines from my mom. Super inspirational and quite educational!
The cover of the one on top makes me swoon. Roses ♥

And I've been taking notes. Of everything. And very roughly sketching the first draft of my plan.


So what seeds did I buy? What are we growing? Here is the list with links to Finnish descriptions and a picture:

Edibles:
Snap bean 'Prelude' (a kind of green bean)
Dill
Brussels sprouts 'Groninger' (from last year)

Flowers:
Those are just the purchased seeds... In addition, I still want to get:

Calendula 'Pink surprise' (we grew this last year)
Marigolds (for their pest control properties, not their beauty - yuck)
Sweet peas (duh)

And from the outdoor market:
Zucchini starts
Squash starts

And I want to try growing celery from scraps like on pinterest here.


 And you know, we have quite a few perennials out there. 
Raspberries
Currants
Rhubarb
Mint
Chives
Strawberries
Roses
AND ON AND ON.


I'm hoping to make an incredibly detailed plan of the garden and plant accordingly!
Also, hoping to grow as much as possible indoors seedling and starts wise.
(friends, start saving me yogurt cups in April!)
I hope I can do as much as I have done in past years, although I know it might be harder in my condition :D

Another inspiring thought: the balcony in the next place!
Uuuh, all the things I can plant out there... 

Hope you've had a wonderful weekend!
Next week I start work in my beloved home care. 
I will be working until the end of April, just in time almost for my maternity leave to start! :)
Yay! Things do work out the way they are meant to! Stress and worry are pointless!

No comments:

Post a Comment