Sunday, April 21, 2013

2013: Garden post #1

I've gone off the deep end!!

We were fortunate enough to have obtained THE BEST garden allotment in the whole area this past week!! My mom was amazing and was doing the official business of renting us a garden plot in our own name (the three we have been gardening have been in my parent's name) that is adjacent to theirs. Last summer we thought of taking the plot that was literally over-run by weeds etc (it's been "abandoned" for years), but as she was talking with the lady in charge of the garden allotments...the long-time gardening granny neighbor passed away last fall, leaving her immaculate and giant plot available. Needless to say, my mom swooped in and it is now claimed as ours! 
May the granny rest in peace knowing it's in caring hands. (Although she probably rolled in her grave, seeing as she was never fond of us...)

Now between the four of us, we have a whole lotta garden to tend to!!

Here's a few pictures I took while we were there today.

A whole lot of messy dead-coming-back-to-life stuff...


The second daffodil bed that I planted last fall from the original and overgrown daffodil bed...
 

This mess is embarrassing. We dropped the ball last fall with my mom having hip surgery and me being busy with finishing my horrendous thesis and then getting pregnant and going through first trimester nausea...
But this is the perennial flower bed. 
Imagine foxgloves, sweet williams, pansies, daisies and the like... 
 

Currants upon currants. Combined with our new plot, we have a total of FIFTEEN currant bushes!!
 

Tulips and the newly done original daffodil/grape hyacinth bed in the background...
 

And rhubarb knubs. 
 

The ground was wet and muddy making it hard to walk through (it was like quicksand!) and some parts were still icy when the men tested it with shovels. 
So no planting right away.
But with the mess we left it in last fall, we are gonna have plenty to do anyway before the ground warms up. 

I have biiiiiiiiiiiiig plans. I see outdoor garden rooms, vines, flowers, veggies, bean teepees and more... 
And I have to re-work all my plans because I wasn't counting on us getting the additional land to work with. 
I'm stoked and so excited!!

So the rest of the day I've been flipping through my many precious gardening magazines and checking out my garden board on pinterest. Oh the ideas!!

So that concludes the first garden post of the 2013 season!! 
What?! 
It's wonderful!

Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday where ever you are! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment