Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Summer thrifting...and jam.

Flea markets, thrift stores... it's like a treasure hunt! I am unlike many my age who partake in the hunt, in that I look for mainly housewares and less for clothes etc. I see cups, glass, mugs, plates, textiles, etc before I see shirts, dresses, shoes, etc.
I think it's because I would rather decorate my home than myself.
And it makes me wish I had a huge farm house to decorate!

This summer has been a nice one, in that I have been thrifting quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, we've made house improvements this summer that were not thrifted (but at the cheaper end of the spectrum - thanks Ikea!), but I've also picked up some stuff that I couldn't leave behind... and for the first time, I've also bought clothes! 

By the way, I will be sharing our updated interiors soon... just need to get rid of one last item!

This little set was at the higher end of the price range I am comfortable paying at a thrift store. 
Not to sound frugal, but this teapot and cup combo set me back 7 euros. ;)
They are worn, tea stained, and gorgeous.
If they were pristine, I would have passed them up.
They have an antique-y feel... stamped with "made in England".


I bought this excellent condition cake tin for 2.50e. 
This little green bud vase (or I'll use it as one) for 2e. 


This following purchase was made a few weeks ago. I about cried when I stumbled upon them. 
A set of two cups and saucers for 1.20e. 
They are the German retro heart set I've been looking out for for about a year now. 
Talk about excitement at the treasure hunt!!
Now I own a little tea set!! ♥
OMG -- I wonder if there is a heart tea pot out there somewhere?!?!


 This summer I've bought 2 dresses, 1 shirt, and 1 winter coat (not pictured, because I forgot!). 
The little summer dress was adorable, perfect print and colors!! Swoon!
The shirt on the left is a loose fitting summer shirt, kind of has a lace peasant collar thing going on.
The shirt-dress is a light blue pinstripe that I love.


My mom bought me this mug, pansies!! AAAAH! LOOOVE IT! It's the new design by Kultakeramiikka ceramics brand.


And my mom and I went halvies on our next blanket project. This one is for my Godmother. 
We're going to add a darker blue to the mix and perhaps a white or black border... Can't wait to see how it develops!


What can I say, I'm addicted to crocheting granny square blankets.

We were in a predicament since our last garden trip... raspberries don't keep well in the fridge and need to get put in the freezer asap. Well, it's not that simple when you run out of containers. 
So we decided we'll make raspberry jam!

And then we realized what goes into jam. 
Pectin, ascorbic acid, etc. 
Google and pinterest weren't helping!
Until I found the recipe for old-fashioned raspberry jam from Epicurious.
Two ingredients: raspberries and sugar.

Great! We had a recipe!
Ok, now for jars... well, we were short on those so we ended up raiding the cabinets and the fridge and emptying out all the ends of the jams, pickles etc we could find. 

Woohoo!
It was a heckuva night, but by midnight, we had jam!


Yum!
This morning, we were giddy with excitement to taste it.
Perfect consistency, perfect flavor.
WIN!

So that's a little story about thrifting...and jam. 
Lol.
But to join the two together, making your own jam is kinda thrifty...and we used recycled jars!
HAH!

Lastly, I'd like to share this moody photo taken a couple of nights ago.
The sunset lit up the apartment with a beautiful peachy light...and then the sky became this:



♥♥♥
Wow!

Thanks for stopping by!
Remember, when life doesn't give you plastic freezer containers --- make jam!!


7 comments:

  1. Yay, good find with the heart tea set ;)! If I ever see a teapot, i'll be sure to get it for you. jam looks good :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let's hope it still exists somewhere. :D ...and we have plenty of jam to go around... come over!

      Delete
  2. Hi Anneli! I love, love, love your blog! I was out with Elina last night and she told me about it. We share so many of the same interests! I'm crocheting a baby blanket for my daughter, but it's not granny squares (which I want you to teach me when you come to Florida again), but it's out of flowers. I haven't perfected the middle part of the flower yet, so I'm a little embarrassed to post any pictures of it, but maybe I will eventually. I'll also keep my eyes open over here for the teapot. I haunt the thrift stores too! I can't wait to follow your creative journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! :) The granny square is super easy to learn, I just followed this tutorial (check out their other tutorials on the side ;)) http://www.purlbee.com/granny-square-project/2007/4/12/classic-granny-square-pattern.html
      I'd love to make a flower blanket, have had a bunch of patterns bookmarked or pinned...just got stuck on the grannies for now :D
      Thanks again for following! :)

      Delete
  3. That teaset is super cute! I actually have a small cup that is almost the same looking but I think it's Arabia or something. I'll definately keep in mind that you're looking for a tea pot like that!

    Great jammin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is wonderful! I found it because I've spent all morning googling "light blue pinstripe shirt dresses" which is pathetic, I realize. Could you tell me where you got yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for stopping by :) I found mine from a thrift store in Finland, but it's H&M brand. Hope that helps! :)

      Delete