Friday, August 17, 2012

The Countryside

I can't remember if I mentioned it already, but last Saturday we took a little trip to a country town, Hämeenkyrö, about 40 minutes from here. My mom's friend lives out there and has been telling us about a great flea market...so obviously it was time to check it out! :)

The flea market was big, one of the biggest I've ever been to. It was almost overwhelming...and towards the end I just got so...tired. Is there a such thing as over-thrifting? Lol!
In the end I didn't even buy anything amazing, just a couple small things. 

After the flea market, we were hungry. Nearby was a little herb farm with a cafe and handcraft boutique. It was on a river and the sun was shining. We were blessed with really beautiful weather. 

After refueling with coffee, we decided to take the scenic route home by driving down literally "scenery road". :)

There were "fields of gold".
I had to stop the car and get out to take a picture. It was more beautiful in person!
 

Further down the road was an awesome berry farm, where you can pick your own strawberries and raspberries. They had a little cafe and shop to buy the local goods. 
There was this amazing view from the fields:


A closer-up photo of the strawberry rows...


There were also some farm animals to admire. 
This pretty hen seemed almost like she was posing for me. 


As was this rooster. He was rather protective of his ladies. 


There was also a little herd or flock (whatever the correct term is...) of mini goats.
CUUUUUUTE!


I've never been one for goats, but these little guys were so cute and friendly, they changed my mind about goats. They ate and ate and ate... corn, willow branches, weeds (thanks to some kids), and our pea shells. 


Ooooh sheep!


After my travel companions were able to drag me away from the animals (literally), we continued our drive to the local lake beach. Gorgeous photo op!


After we reached the end of the road, we drove the backroads to the next town to see where my dad grew up before his family moved to California in the 1950s. 
Interesting and fun day for sure!
The hubster and I were so excited about driving around the countryside, since it's our dream to have a secluded little farm to putter around on one day. :)


And something that has absolutely nothing to do with anything, my hubby went foraging through the forest with my dad and our big bear and found these chanterelles... YUM!
We had a chanterelle-meatball cream sauce with potatoes. 


So now I'm almost caught up with the blog... Just a garden post I need to upload pictures for... Expect that soon!

Thanks for stopping by!
Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment