Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Gardening post 1

First of all, a shout out to my big sister, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :) Much love ♥


And now, our garden. (Pictures from May 6th)
For those of you who haven't followed my previous blog last summer, you can read all about last summer here.

This year we've gotten out to the garden a bit later than last year. I feel like spring has come later in general this year compared to last year. 
The garden was in full swing when we went last week to get started and I'm sure as the weeks and sunny days go by, the pace will pick up. 

This is the point that our currant bushes are at. Just little itty-bitty leaves. 


The tulips are up. Spring does come a bit later to the garden though, as I've seen tulips (and daffodils) much further along in some places around town. 
 

Our luscious rhubarb. I can't wait for pies, and desserts. Hubby likes snacking on it plain! I saw a delicious recipe that I can't wait to try on pinterest, a ginger rhubarb spritzer drink. Mmmm!

Our daffodil patch. Also some grape hyacinths in there. We are planning on redoing this once everything has bloomed. It's riddled with grasses and other weeds and needs a good clean up. Hopefully we won't ruin the bulbs as they have been marvelous and very nice to come back year after year and make us smile. 

Pansies are back!!!! I'm so obsessed with pansies, it's ridiculous! I was SO excited to see them blooming! :)

The strawberries are doing well. I can't wait for the harvest. ;)

Speaking of harvest... The raspberries should be easier to pick this year. Hubby and my dad rebuilt the support posts and tied the branches to the posts so they should be a lot more stable and easier to pick. Win!

Weeds are already making their comeback. Here is a little nettle. So tiny still! We are saving some of the nettle for my dad to harvest, but I've already ripped out a bunch that were in the wrong places.

Here are my new garden gloves I picked up for 1euro last fall. I love them, they match my rubber boots! :) They are also good to wear. Here is a little sampler of my least favorite weeds, look at those root systems already! 

As for the herbs, we are replanting our mint into a planter because it's just so messy and ugly in its current spot, under a currant bush. The chives have sprouted up nicely. My hubby and mama were brave to taste them, apparently they pack quite the punch right now!

Our garlic has sprouted up well, too.

Oh! Another pansy shot! ♥

Here are my super cute boots, my mama's black ones, and the corner of our rose bed. Last year my mom had the great idea of planting bellis daisies around the edge, it was so pretty! 
 

There is still so much to be done at the garden. I love and hate that about gardening, the work is never-ending! 
We started working on a little patio area using the old recycled materials found in the garden. I can't wait for it to be done, since we are bringing out our old patio furniture and making a seating area to eat lunch at and admire the roses and flowers. :) 

Well, that's it for me today. Hopefully I'll be back before long! 
Thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment