Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's day and daffodils

Sunday was mother's day and we celebrated by inviting my parents over for brunch.
I made a fresh salad with a homemade raspberry vinaigrette. 


The salad was nice and crisp accompanying this RICH quiche. I fried bacon and then caramelized onion, garlic, and bell pepper in the bacon grease. It gets better! Then I added some defrosted broccoli florets and tossed it in with the grease... and then melted a super rich and tasty soft cheese. Then I mixed 2 eggs and 1dl of sour cream into the warm mixture quickly, put it in the slightly pre-baked crust and put a bunch of cheese on top. 
Yeah, when I mean rich, I mean RICH!
It was so thick and creamy...just perfect! 
The crust was just a simple butter, flour, water crust that I pre-baked for 10min. I used gluten-free flour and some polenta to give it a nice texture. It was a nice crumb-y crust, everyone liked it. 


For dessert I wanted to make something fancy looking, but light considering the bacon quiche... Obviously I chose pavlova. (My love!!!) 
These gorgeous currants have been waiting in the freezer for some use, they were frozen complete on their little stems so they look nice as a garnish. 
Yep!
I loved the way they looked as they were defrosting!


The pavlova ended up getting a little too brown (darn distractions!), but the flavor and texture were great (my hubby called the darker spots campfire marshmallow). 
I "filled" the pavlova with a raspberry-lemon whipped cream concoction, using the Finnish "rahka" (quark?!). 
Garnish was left over whipped cream topped with lemon zest and the currants. 


Can you tell I just wanted to eat it and not take a million pictures of it first? ;)

My good boy Koda made sure his grandmama felt the love on mama's day.



So later on that day, I was inspired to take pictures of the daffodils that we brought home from the garden on Saturday. 
These were my favorite shots.
 

Apparently I was in a close-up mood. :)



Ah, yellow. It really has grown on me... well in certain moods and seasons anyway.

 
So that was my Sunday. 

This week has been crazy hectic/busy and life in general will continue to be so until sometime after June 9th. 
Argh.
I have sooooo much school work + starting my summer job + my friend's wedding (helping make decorations, baking, and crocheting her a shawl as a gift + my own shawl!!!)!!!

Finding time for everything is a biatch. Especially when I am lazy and selfish and only want to do things I want to do. 

Oh life!

Hope you're enjoying a relaxing week, I'll live vicariously if I must. ;)
 


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! Looks like you spent a wonderful Mother's day :)

    ReplyDelete