Saturday, June 2, 2012

Ferns and such

On my way to school last week (and this week) and actually all spring (!), I've been admiring this patch of ferns and all the photo glory they behold. I have seen them in morning light and afternoon light...wishing I had the camera each time. The definite downside to owning a DSLR is the fact that it's bulky and the proper bags are so ugly. I always put our bag inside another, lol. Anywho, I finally took my camera with me on my second to last day of school. Pretty funny, right.

The ferns. Love! 
Here's another shout out to the best sister ever! Keeping me photo-inspired ;)




This one is my favorite. I love vertical. I love light through leaves. I love close up, I love detail. 
I think I'm developing a style as far as flower/nature photography goes...
 

Not only did the ferns catch my eye, but I've noticed the blueberries were blooming. I think they have such a pretty little bell flower. So dainty!
 

The growth of this woodland patch of lily of the valley was something I've been following all spring... Crazy how much pollen has fallen on these leaves!
 

This picture makes my heart leap!!
♥♥♥
I've seen it so many mornings and wished for my camera. I realized the tulips are starting to wilt, so it was another reason to carry my camera along to school... had to capture the beauty while I could!!
 

The same day as all the photos above (Wednesday), I went to my parents' to help my mom prepare for some US guests. In fact, my dad's cousin and his wife. I made roasted veggies that we served over cheesey, creamy pasta and some chicken on the side (there was a vegetarian among us!). As a side dish we ate a salad with a homemade lemony vinaigrette. And dessert, well dessert was fabulous. More on that in a minute!

This side table is something that my parents are super proud of. My dad, being the amazingly talented carpenter he is, built the table and then covered it mosaic style with all the (accidentally) broken cups and such that have come to be over the years. In fact, this has been a project in the making for at least a few years. Careful collection of broken items and items to be broken! ;) 
I hate to say it, but I think Kissa was a great inspiration, seeing as she is the one who broke most of the key pieces while living with my parents for a summer...
Naughty kitty!
The rest of the items have been given by friends, relatives, and have been flea market finds.


I think it's beautiful! 


Oh and here is the fabulous dessert. What else but pavlova?! Lol!
Me and my meringues...
But seriously, it was PERFECT! I served it topped with a rhubarb compote made the night before, just the right amount of tartness. And the sweetness was provided by whipped cream. 
Oh my...I drool even now at the memory.
Come to find out, I wasn't the only meringue fiend in the bunch. 
And there wasn't much left. ;)
Always a good sign!!


The picture isn't the best, but I was too busy drooling and wanting to eat it NOW than mess around with the camera. Sometimes, snapshots will do.

One thing I learned after making the compote, is that when not using "forced rhubarb" which have that beautiful dark red color, you can make a color syrup of sorts by boiling one small beet and sugar together. Once you add your normal green rhubarb it'll be prettified!
It's definitely something I'd like to try!!

Well, my work week continues. 
At least weekends equal a little bit more money.

But all I really want to do is lay in bed with my furry babies and listen to rain outside. 
It's so calming!

Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment