Wednesday, May 15, 2013

2013: Garden post #4

(For fear of falling behind in sharing pictures and events, here is the second post of the day! :))
 
For Mother's Day we went to the garden. 
Note to future self, this was May 12th. 

While we women were having fun at the baby shower, hubby and my dad went to the garden to plant the potato starts that my dad wants each year. These potatoes will be ready by midsummer! :)


The peonies have gotten so much bigger since last time!
 

These are lily of the valley... They spread by nature but haven't really done so in the years we have been growing them. This year, however, is entirely different. They've popped up in numbers everywhere. Which is good of course. :)
 

Tulips...
 

We made a slightly raised bed with the rocks I wrote about in a previous garden post. 
And here especially you can see the spreading lily of the valley. 
The bit further in the back has been infested with weeds, so it's going to get the same treatment our daffodils got last fall: rip up, tear apart, re-plant. 
 

Tiny green leaves on the currants. 
 

And glorious daffodils!
 

Here are some of the little tete-a-tete narscissi I planted last fall. 
 

 This is what that thorny gooseberry bush looked like. Much improvement indeed. 
 

We already ate some rhubarb! So juicy and fresh!
 

Can't resist a good picture when I see one. :)
 

My mom and I were busy at work weeding. Her maybe more so than me, but ah, weeding ♥ 
Nothing more therapeutic than seeing your handiwork and having your hands in dirt.
 

The herb bed, needing more herbs. So far it's just parsley, chives, and in the back, garlic.
 

I was going insane with all the large seedlings in the house so we brought out the pumpkins to make room in our apartment again.
It was maybe a bit premature, but ya gotta do what you gotta do sometimes and just hope for the best. 
 

I will be honest though and say I am not 100% sure are these all decorative gourds or if they are the "baby bear" variety of pumpkin that I planted. 
I think somewhere along the line, I might have fudged up the little cards... I guess we will find out come the end of summer...
Lol!
 

Well, that was the FOURTH garden post already, we're just half way through May.
Sorry to the folks who follow this for crafty reasons... Summer is my time of flowers and dirt. 

 I have been crafty still, mind you!
I have the mobile that is just a suitable ribbon away from being done... Argh! 
Why are there only ugly shades of ribbon when you need beautiful muted pinks or greens?! 

I will be back soon (ok, so I will perhaps schedule a post so I'm not the loon who posts 3 times in one day) with the pictures of our humble home. That I've promised to share for probably 3 weeks now! 
Eeek!

No comments:

Post a Comment